Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 9: GPS

I love my GPS. It is one thing I certainly needed to hit the roads of LA when I moved here before college! Having a GPS has taken out the anxiety of being lost or trying to find a place I've never been before--just type in the address and listen to the commands. And the best part is--when I make a wrong turn, it "recalculates" to accommodate my mistake and ensures I find a way to reach my final destination.

My GPS has always been accurate and taken me right where I've needed to be.  The only opportunity for error is on my behalf.  You see, if I get impatient waiting for it to recalculate or over-confident when I see familiar surroundings, I often just turn it off and rely on my own knowledge to get me there. More often than not, I end up lost, confused, nervous, and reaching to turn back on the GPS.

One of the elders at my church made a great comparison to following the GPS and following God with obedience. In many ways, the GPS is "God's Positioning System." He places desires in our heart and guides our steps to accomplish His plan for us. "A man's heart plans his steps, and the Lord directs his ways." -Proverbs 16:9. And when we take a wrong turn or make a bad decision, His abundant love and grace recalculates our steps. But following His directions requires obedience on our behalf.  Obedience--not relying on our own understanding to figure it out or being overconfident in our own abilities, but trusting God to provide us every resource, piece of wisdom, guidance and funds we need to carry out the plan He put in our hearts.

"Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying 'This is the way, walk in it.' whenever you turn to the right or turn to the left." -Isaiah 30:21

Isn't it funny how we are quick to follow an automated GPS tool but struggle to completely obey the guidance of the one who knows us personally, who seeks our hearts daily and wants to bless our lives in new and exciting ways to further His kingdom?


No comments:

Post a Comment