Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 20: So long secrets

When my sister was a little girl, she was a terrible eater. She turned meals into big struggles when my parents had to force her to eat anything healthy--especially her carrots. Those darn carrots--she must have convinced herself they were poisonous. She hatched a plan that had everyone fooled for awhile--she would take a bite of her carrot, chew it, hold it in her mouth and go to the bathroom. Then she would spit it out in the toilet and come back to the table. After we caught onto that, she began hiding the carrots underneath the table. Then they were hid in the backseat of the car and even in our winter basket of mittens and gloves!

Sometimes my mind likes to play a similar trick on me--like when I see a box of cookies sitting out and no one is around. My mind says "if you eat a cookie and no one sees, it doesn't count!" Well, I've come to the sad realization that it does! satan is infamous for luring us into isolation and tempting us, because he knows when no one is watching us, we don't feel as guilty and we feel a rush of adrenaline when we don't get "caught." It is so important to recognize this as one of satan's tactics and keep ourselves surrounded by strong Christians and wary of isolation.

Even if we are surrounded by people, we can still sin and think dishonorable thoughts. Really, we are completely incapable of holding secrets.  God knows all--whether we want him to or not.

"Oh Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. 


You know when I sit down or stand up. 


You know my thoughts even when I'm far away.  


You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. 


You know everything I do. 


You know what I am going to say even before I say it. 


You go before me and follow me." 

-Psalm 139:1-5

The fact that God is omniscient shouldn't send us running away to hide from God, fearing the wrath and consequences we'll face for our sinful thoughts and actions. I think that is something that scares a lot of people away from a deeper relationship with Him. Instead, we need to accept that there is no way we can hide a secret--which really is a blessing. Hidden secrets bind us up in fear, guilt and anxiety. Yuck!

Here's how to approach the situation--instead of running from God because he knows our downfalls, pray to Him the prayer in the end of Psalms 139!

"Search me, O God, and know my heart.


Test me and know my anxious thoughts. 


Point out anything in me that offends you. 


Lead me along the path of everlasting life." 



No comments:

Post a Comment