Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 23: Enjoy the wait!

Our culture wants everything yesterday. Our culture doesn't really like to wait.

This mentality interferes with the Christian faith. God often uses waiting as a powerful tool for growth in areas we need it most. Think back to something you really wanted.  When I was in middle school I wanted a cell phone, in high school a car, in college to complete my first marathon to name a few things. If I didn't have to wait 14 years for a cell phone, 16 years for a car, and put in a year's worth of training to finish my first marathon, getting what I wanted would have meant next to nothing.

Waiting builds character because we are required to persevere and endure. Our morals are tested. Will we give in and try to find an easy way to the prize? Or will we rely on God's strength and promises? Our society might say yes--have it now, why work for it? But I'm a firm believer that anything worth having takes work. God doesn't give instant microwave answers, but his blessings are worth waiting for. And I don't know about you, but I am always up for building more character. As my wise grandpa Popsi says, "Character is like ice cream--you can never have too much!"

The Bible says, "when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. You know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." 
-James 1:2-4

Christians are content with waiting. Why? Because just like the rainbow after the thunderstorm, after the waiting period comes God's blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment