Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 37: Who you judging?

As I am less than a week away from competition, the topic of judgment is weighing large on my mind. Not only will I be judged by a panel of 7 accomplished judges, but when 59 girls spend a week together, I can expect lots of judging will be going on amongst us. That is human nature. My aim is to step above judgmental thoughts towards others and realize the only judge I need to impress who's opinion matters is God's.

Matthew 7 is an excellent chapter about judgement. Judging others has become a natural habit (and downfall) of human nature. Even though we rarely speak our judgments or criticisms, we think them--and that is just as awful. I liked how Matthew 7 starts off incorporating the concept of sowing and reaping. I always think of sowing and reaping only positive things--like if I work hard at my job, I'll reap a raise or promotion. Or if I do good to others, the good will be returned. I had never thought about how sowing bad things returns the reaping of negative consequences. Many times in our life we are reaping what we have sown into the lives of others, both the good and the bad.

"Do not judge, criticize, and condemn others, so that you may not be judged, criticized and condemned yourselves. Just as you judge, criticize, and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned according to the measure you deal it to others, it will be dealt to you." 
-Matthew 7:1-2

The breaking of this habit starts with mind power. Increasing alertness to your thoughts and monitoring them will make you aware of the sometimes unconscious thoughts that pass through your head. Pray the Lord will give you eyes to see others as He sees them, and to recognize their goodness instead of their weakness.

"And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own? How can you say to your friend, 'Let me help you get rid of that speck,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye." 
-Matthew 7:3-4


This verse is a reminder to focus on making ourselves more holy before we try to fix those around us. The best way to influence is to have your life be a shining example of what Christ intended our lives to look like!


No comments:

Post a Comment