Friday, July 1, 2011

Lemons

Its hard for me to believe that a week has already passed since I was in Fresno competing for Miss California. It was not my year to win the crown and job, but I was happy to have finished in the Top 10 again this year and also won top interview. Although, it wasn't my win, because I had asked the Lord for months to speak through me during my interview. He did all the talking, I just stood there in a pretty dress and perfectly teased hair!

To say I wasn't disappointed and sad would be to lie. I was upset I didn't win and confused at why God didn't put me in that position to bring Him the glory. But, I never once lost sight of the fact that it is not my right to understand how He works. Who am I to question His plan? He reminded me throughout the week of competition to trust Him. "Rachel, just trust me." And I kept my sights on Him. I hope I showed the audience, the judges, and the 58 girls I competed with His light.

My mom reminded me of something I had told my sister earlier this year when she was in a dry season for her acting career. She had gotten a lot of auditions and come close many times to booking the jobs, but it was always her age, her look, the timing, whatever the reason, that kept her from booking. At this point, most kids her age turn around and head home and give up on their acting dreams. While I could see the doubt on my sister's face for months, one morning when I walked up the stairs to our apartment past the lemon tree in the front yard, something clicked. We watch those lemons ripen on the tree like hawks! Because they are all nicely shaped and bright yellow in color, it is hard to tell if they are ripe enough to pick.

I told my sister her career was like a lemon on that tree. If a lemon is picked too early, they are too tart and sour to eat. Their life is short-lived. But if the lemon hangs on the tree until it is ripe and mature, it will be picked at the perfect time. Even if we think we are ready, only God knows when the time is right for us to blossom. We may never be picked for a certain job or position, but that is only because God has something better, bigger, and more perfect for us in store. I'm going back on the tree to grow until I'm ready to be picked--according to His timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment