Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 4: More Beautiful

In our beauty-obsessed culture, I get so tired of the focus and value put on the outward appearances.  We have become a society quick to judge by looks.  One of my dear friends Rose put it into perspective:

"I heard an old queen of England was asked how she stays so beautiful. She responded 'when you are so beautiful on the inside, you can't stop it from showing on the outside.'"

So true. There are those people you're just drawn to and maybe don't know why, but inner beauty has a rich lure.  Selfless hearts who put others first is prettier than any good makeover.

That's part of my draw to the Miss America Organization.  I constantly fight the "beauty pageant" stigma, as most pageants are regarded as overly glamourous and produce pretty models but not necessarily relatable role models.  I describe the Miss America Organization as the intersection of inner and outer beauty, and that I respect.  While we can't control our genetics, birthmarks, or facial features, we can control a beauty that is much richer and lasting--on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment